1) Why wear a dress and heels and do your hair if you are not going to wear makeup? Isn't that hypocritical?
I'm not against looking my best. In fact, I love to dress up and be pretty! I don't think there is anything wrong with that, makeup is just not part of that process for me. The reason I choose not to wear makeup has nothing to do with being against looking good or primping myself.
2) So, why don't you wear makeup?
This is a hard question to answer. I touched on it a little bit in an old blog post, but I'll rehash it here.
- Most makeup is chemicals. I don't want to put chemicals on my skin.
- I felt a big stigma TO wear it in order to feel pretty in college. I even put this pressure on myself, thinking I could never be seen as beautiful or sexy without wearing it.
- After college, because of all the pressure I felt, I decided to stop wearing it completely. It became a kind of prideful thing for me that I didn't wear it. I thought that most people who choose to wear makeup did so because they felt uncomfortable with how they looked or had low self esteem. This was a complete 360 degree flip on how I felt about makeup in college.
- Today I don't wear make up because it's my choice, its how I feel and it's what I best think represents who I am. It does not make me better then anyone else, nor worse. It is simply what makes me comfortable.
3) What did your husband say when he saw you not wearing makeup at your wedding?
I don't think he noticed. We were getting married and I think both of us were just jittery as can be. I don't normally wear makeup so I think if he had seen me wearing some it would have been shocking to him!
4) Would you let your kids wear makeup?
Yes, if they wanted to. The main thing is I don't want them to feel pressure to wear it. I just want them to wear it because its fun or new, not because they feel like they need it to be accepted or pretty. I'd also make sure the makeup they did wear was as natural as possible!
5) Do you regret not wearing makeup to your wedding?
Nope! Totally would do it all over again!
Hope this helps answer any and all questions you may have about my choice! If I've missed one, leave a comment and I'll get right to it!