You Will Need:
- Three cups diced butternut squash, frozen or raw
- 2 tbsp butter flavored coconut oil (or butter)
- One diced onion
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (or sub 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3 cups coconut milk (from a carton, like the kind you would drink)
- 1 cup chicken broth (for vegan, sub vegetable broth)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked for at least one hour (if you have a vitamix blender) or 3 hours for a regular blender or food processor
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
Cook 2 tbsp coconut butter, diced onion, 1 teaspoon rosemary and 1 tbsp fresh sage until onions are translucent. Add in butternut squash and 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cover--reduce head and simmer for 15-20 minutes covered until squash is cooked and soft. I found the frozen squash takes 15 minutes and the raw cubed squash takes 20 to soften.
While that is simmering, add 2 cups coconut milk, your cashews, and 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth.
When your squash is soft (after the 15-20 min) flatten it with a potato masher until its a gravy. Add in your vegan cheese mix from the blender, 3 tbsp honey and 1/2 teaspoon allspice. Add in a pinch of salt and pepper.
Stir. At this point I add in my noodles and cover, adding a little more coconut milk or water to make it not so thick so that the noodles can cook (not more than 1 cup) I simmer my noodles, stirring occasionally, for about 8-10 minutes. If you are using the spaghetti squash noodles, I would just add them and stir for 1-2 minutes because they should already be cooked and tender.
Serve. Eat. It's that good!