Saturday, February 26, 2011

My first attempt sewing from a pattern

When I went to the fabric store last month I picked up 5 simplicity patterns. They were having a 5 for 5$ sale and I thought that perhaps I would be able to understand a pattern now that I've learned a bit more about sewing.

This is from Simplicity 3573, and its a nightgown!

I thought I'd try something free-flowing because I've heard that it takes a while to learn your size. This would only require a size estimate, so I wouldn't have to worry. 

I made it out of an old sheet that I bought from a thrift store for 1$. It has a bias tape top:


and cute ruffled sleeves with elastic in the bottom.



My sister just had a baby two months ago (and she's a darling) so I made this nightgown for her. She's nursing and needs things that are easy to nurse in!  

All in all, the pattern was simple and easy to use. I was unsure about a few of the words they used in the steps, but google helped me out. I am surprised to say that I am no longer afraid of patterns and will be giving a few more a try later on!


I made two mistakes. I didn't line up the top piece and the bottom exactly! I also put one of the sleeves on upside down and had to re-do it....

Here is a picture of the the back:


I'm very pleased at my first attempt! Now to sew another tote...

1 comment:

  1. It is absolutely beautiful Ruth! Wow, I wanna run to the store and buy some patterns too! I can't wait to see what else you will make.
    And thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. It really means the world to me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Your thoughts bring smiles to my face :)